ACL Reconstruction Cost in Lagos
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction is a surgery intended to regain knee stability and strength after tearing the ligament. It is necessary to remove the remains of the broken ligament and replace it with another ligament from your body or with tissue from a corpse.
The knee is a hinge joint where the tibia, or shinbone, is met by the femur, or thighbone. These four ligaments, which bind bones to one another, hold together this essential joint:
Ligament of the anterior cruciate (ACL)
Collateral medial ligament (MCL)
Collateral lateral ligament (LCL)
Ligament of posterior cruciate (PCL)
ACL Reconstruction Cost in Lagos
|Surgery name||Minimum price||Maximum price|
|ACL Reconstruction||$ 5,100||$ 8,900|
The average ACL Reconstruction Cost in Lagos is 6,500 USD.
Lagos is the preferred destination for ACL reconstruction because of the Low Cost of ACL Reconstruction in Lagos 5,100 USD. Many patients travel from abroad and different parts of the country because the ACL Reconstruction price in Lagos 5,100 USD is affordable.
There are many Hospitals with highly experienced ACL Reconstruction Surgeons in Lagos. Lagos city also has a very good supply of Implants required for ACL Reconstruction surgery in Lagos.
ACL Reconstruction Surgery reviews in Lagos by past clients are very encouraging because ACL Reconstruction success rate in Lagos is high.
ACL reconstruction surgery in Lagos?
The surgical repair or replacement of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the knee is called ACL surgery. To build the knee joint, the thighbone (femur), shinbone (tibia), and patella (kneecap) meet. These bones are joined to each other by ligaments. One form of the knee ligament is your ACL. It is a band that stabilizes your knee with rough, fibrous connective tissue.
Particularly among athletes, injuries requiring reconstruction or replacement of the ACL are common. After an ACL injury, ACL reconstruction surgery can help restore pain-free range of motion, stability, and function to a knee joint.
ACL surgery with hazards and possible complications is a normal but important surgery. You may have options for less invasive therapy. Before having ACL surgery, consider seeking a second opinion on all of your care options.
Types of ACL reconstruction Surgeries available in Lagos
By stitching the ligament back together, wounded or broken ACLs do not heal well. Instead, to repair or replace the wounded ACL, ACL reconstruction surgery uses a connective tissue graft. Connective tissues are both ligaments and tendons. Over several months, the body recovers around the graft.
Types of procedures for ACL reconstruction surgery include:
Reconstruction of Allograft – An allograft is a fragment of connective tissue from the cadaver, typically a tendon. Allografts start in a tissue bank. Reconstructions of Allograft involve only one incision and cause less discomfort than a fusion of autograft. However, the risk of severe infection, including HIV and hepatitis, is minimal.
Reconstruction of Autograft – An autograft is a piece of connective tissue that is your own. Doctors usually take an autograft from a portion of the tendon of the patellar (kneecap). For ACL autograft reconstruction, this is the gold standard. Over time, the patellar tendon will repair itself and re-grow the missing section. Your hamstring and quadriceps tendons are additional autograft sites. As your patellar tendon, these sites do not heal as reliably. An autograft involves an extra-large incision, increases the duration of operation, and induces more post-operative discomfort than reconstruction of the allograft.
Reconstruction by synthetic or artificial graft -In trials, artificial ligament graft materials were tested but did not work as well as human tissue grafts. At this time, synthetic grafts are still experimental.
Reconstructing Xenograft – A xenograft is a piece of connective tissue taken from animal sources that are non-human. Human trials of xenograft reconstructions are currently being performed by medical scientists.
Other procedures that may be performed
In addition to ACL surgery, your physician can prescribe one or more procedures:
- The surgical repair or trimming of a broken meniscus is a meniscectomy. There are two menisci in your knee. They are made of cartilage and act as the knee joint shock absorbers.
- Reconstructions of other ligaments. There are four ligaments in your knee, plus your ACL. Depending on the condition, other knee ligaments can also need repair.
- The surgical repositioning of the kneecap is called patellar realignment.
- The surgical removal of part of an inflamed synovial membrane is a synovectomy. Tissues that line joints, including your knee, are synovial membranes.
Who is a suitable candidate for ACL Reconstruction Surgery?
A common knee wound that affects the ligaments is the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). In general, people who participate in high-risk sports such as basketball, football, skiing, and soccer are considered more susceptible to this injury.
Most ACL injuries occur when other parts of the knee, such as the meniscus, articular cartilage, or other ligaments, are torn or damaged. The articular cartilage is the layer covering the knee’s weight-bearing surface, while the meniscus is the layer between the cartilage surfaces of the femur and the tibia of the bones on either side of the knee.
Pain or failure to perform daily activities are symptoms of functional instability of the knee. This raises the chances of further damage to the knee.
Some patients may also have bruises because of the bones beneath the surface of the cartilage. In order to detect such injuries to the overlying articular cartilage, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan can usually be used. The doctor may recommend surgery to treat complete ACL damage if the non-invasive treatment options are unable to provide relief from the condition.
Patients that are appropriate for reconstruction surgery include:
- Adults who are physically active and want to return to sports contact or strenuous activities, particularly when these activities may require knee pivoting, twisting, turning, or strong sideways movements.
Individuals with combined injuries, other knee injuries together with an ACL tear
Teenagers or older children with growth plates that are closed.
- The risk of damage to the growth plate due to ACL surgery is present in younger children. It can result in problems related to the growth of the child. To reduce the risk of damage to the growth plate, the surgeon may suggest delaying or modifying the ACL reconstruction surgery.Generally speaking, surgery is the best choice for patients who are
- They are less than 25 years of age.
- Have a major tibial subluxation of the anterior
- Have complementary intra-articular damage
- However, where the above requirements are not met, non-surgical treatment approaches are considered to be a suitable choice. For elderly people who have a low level of operation, non-invasive care is a safe choice. It is also preferred, without further intra-articular damage, if the patient has minimal to no anterior tibial subluxation.
The cost of ACL reconstruction surgery in Lagos is as following:
Minimum ACL reconstruction surgery Cost starts from – ₦1,944,120
The average ACL reconstruction surgery price is approximate in Lagos – ₦ 2,529,500
The maximum ACL reconstruction surgery in Lagos is up to – ₦3,392,680
The Cost for ACL Reconstruction may vary according to the following factors:
- Doctor’s Fee
- Hospital charges
- Medical condition after ACL Reconstruction
- Type & Quality of Implants/Consumables
- Lab Tests recommended post ACL Reconstruction
What can I do before the ACL reconstruction surgery?
The patient is generally recommended for physical therapy sessions prior to surgical procedure, such as ACL reconstruction. This is critical because, when ACL surgery is recommended, patients may have a sore, swollen knee joint that has a limited range of motion.
Although regaining motion post-surgery, it may cause serious concern. It typically takes about three or more weeks to recover a complete range of motion from the moment of injury.
In the event of some ligament injuries, the patient may also be advised to wear a brace to allow some healing before reconstruction of the ACL.
Types of anesthesia that may be used
Depending on the particular procedure, the surgeon will perform ACL surgery using either general anesthesia or regional anesthesia.
A mixture of intravenous (IV) drugs and gases that put you into a deep sleep is general anesthesia. You are unaware of the process and experience no discomfort whatsoever. In addition to general anesthesia, you can have a peripheral nerve block infusion as well. An injection or continuous drip of liquid anesthetic is a peripheral nerve block infusion. A tiny tube inserted near the surgical site passes through the anesthetic. During and after surgery, it manages pain.
As a nerve block, regional anesthesia is also classified. In order to numb a big area of the body, it includes injecting an anesthetic around those nerves. With regional anesthesia, you will probably have sedation to keep you calm and comfortable.
What to expect the day of your ACL surgery
- On the day of your service, you may expect:
- Chat with a nurse who is preoperative. The nurse will conduct an evaluation to make sure that all the tests necessary are in order.
- The nurse will also answer questions and ensure the surgical consent document is understood and signed by you.
Remove all jewelry and clothes and dress in a hospital gown. Leaving all jewelry and valuables at home or with a family member is a smart idea. You will be given blankets by your care team for modesty and comfort.
Chat about your medical background and anesthesia with your anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist
An IV will start with a surgical team member.
Your anesthesia will be started by an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist.
To protect and monitor breathing during general anesthesia, a tube will be inserted into your windpipe. You’re not going to notice or recall this or the surgery like they do.
Your vital signs and other essential body functions will be tracked by the surgical team. Throughout the procedure and your recovery, this continues until you are conscious, breathing efficiently, and your vital signs are stable.
ACL reconstruction Insurance surgery coverage in Lagos
ACL reconstruction surgery is a very common procedure in Lagos. Many health insurance companies assist you with this medical emergency surgery.
Top Insurance companies covering ACL reconstruction surgery are,
- AIICO Insurance ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Lead Way Assurance company ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Custodian and Allied Insurance ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Cornerstone Insurance Plc ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- AXA Mansard Insurance ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- African Alliance Insurance Plc ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Goldlink Insurance Plc ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Continental Insurance ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- Industrial and General Insurance Plc ACL reconstruction surgery coverage
- ACL reconstruction surgery coverage from Lasaco Assurance Plc
Many insurance companies cover 60% to 80% of total ACL reconstruction surgery cost in Lagos.
What are the risks and potential complications of ACL Reconstruction Surgery?
ACL surgery, as in other surgeries, entails dangers and possible risks. In certain cases, complications can become severe and life-threatening. During surgery or recovery, complications may occur.
General risks of ACL reconstruction surgery :
- The general risks of surgery include:
- Anesthesia reaction, such as an allergic reaction and problems with breathing
- Bleeding, which can lead to shock
- The blood clot, in particular a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). A DVT in one of your legs can block blood flow or travel to your lungs causing a pulmonary embolism.
Potential complications of ACL surgery
ACL surgery risks include:
- The graft’s inability to cure
- Injury of a growth plate in children
- Infection with HIV or hepatitis (with allograft reconstructions)
- Instability or pain in the knee
- Kneecap pain, particularly with autographs of the patellar tendon
- Harm to the nerves, muscles, or blood vessels
- Patellar tendon weakness and autograft rupture after harvesting
- Rigidity and lack of motion spectrum
- In your leg or foot, weakness or numbness
Reducing your risk of complications –
Following the operation, before surgery, and during recovery, dietary and lifestyle limitations and guidelines
If you are nursing or if there is any chance of pregnancy, tell your doctor or anesthesiologist
Inform your doctor immediately of any complications, such as bleeding, fever, increased pain or redness of the wound, swelling or drainage,
Take your medicine exactly as prescribed,
Telling all of your treatment team members if you have any allergies
What is the ACL reconstruction success rate in Lagos?
ACL reconstruction has traditionally been an effective procedure, with satisfactory results for 75% to 97% of patients (4, 5). However, with the number of primary procedures being performed increasing every year, there is also an increase in the absolute number of graft failures after ACL repair.
How do I prepare for my ACL Reconstruction Surgery?
The steps you take before surgery can improve your comfort and outcome. You can prepare for ACL surgery by:
Answering all questions about your medical history and medications. This includes prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, herbal treatments, and vitamins. It is a good idea to carry a current list of your medical conditions, medications, and allergies at all times.
Getting preoperative testing as directed. Testing will vary depending on your age, health, and specific procedure. Pre-operative testing may include a chest X-ray and other imaging tests, ECG (electrocardiography), blood tests, and other tests as needed.
Losing excess weight before the surgery through a healthy diet and exercise plan
Not eating or drinking before surgery as directed. Your surgery may be canceled if you eat or drink too close to the start of the procedure because you can choke on stomach contents during general anesthesia or sedation.
Stopping smoking as soon as possible. Even quitting for just a few days can be beneficial and help the healing process.
Taking or stopping medications exactly as directed. This may include not taking aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and blood thinners.
How long will it take to recover after ACL Reconstruction in Lagos?
After surgery, you can remain briefly in the recovery room until you are conscious, successfully breathing, and your vital signs are stable. You’re probably going to go home the same day as the surgery.
If a tube is inserted into your windpipe during surgery, you can have a sore throat. This is normally temporary, so if you feel uncomfortable, inform your recovery team.
Recovery after surgery is a process that is incremental. For several weeks after the surgery, you will be wearing a knee brace and using crutches. In order to help you recover, the doctor will also refer you to an exercise rehabilitation program or physical therapy. This involves exercises to restore mobility range and develop knee strength.
Graft healing can take several weeks to complete. Depending on the particular procedure, type of anesthesia, general health, age, and other factors, recovery time varies. It takes at least four to six months to completely heal, but it can take as long as a year. It normally takes a minimum of six months before you can return to sports.
Will I feel pain?
Pain control is important for healing and a smooth recovery. There will be discomfort after your surgery. Your doctor will treat your pain so you are comfortable and can get the rest you need. Call your doctor if your pain gets worse or changes in any way because it may be a sign of a complication.
When should I call my doctor?
- After ACL surgery, keeping your follow-up appointments is critical. For inquiries and complaints between appointments, contact your doctor. Contact your doctor immediately or seek medical attention immediately if you have:
- Problems with breathing, such as shortness of breath, trouble breathing, or wheezing, or laborious breathing
- Pressure in the calf or swelling in the calf, ankle or foot
Alertness moves, such as passing out, unresponsiveness, or uncertainty
- Low-grade fever (less than 101 degrees Fahrenheit) is normal, and not usually a sign of surgical infection, for a few days after surgery.
- Ignore the detailed instructions from your doctor on when to call for a fever.
- Inability to expel gas, urinate, or have a bowel movement
Numbness in the affected extremity or tingling
Pain that your pain medicine does not control or pain that gets worse or improves
- Unexpected drainage of the incision or knee joint, pus, redness, or swelling
How might ACL reconstruction Surgery affect my everyday life?
ACL surgery can cure your condition or reduce your symptoms significantly so that you can lead an active, normal life. Effective ACL surgery restores flexibility and knee power. With the protection of a knee brace for extra support, some individuals feel more secure returning to work or sports after rehabilitation.
ACL Reconstruction Surgery Cost in Lagos – Find the Best Surgeons, Reviews, and Book Appointment