Lagoon Hospital Victoria Island
Lagoon Hospitals has consistently been providing healthcare of international standards to the people of Nigeria. Established in 1984 by Professor Emmanuel and Professor (Mrs.) Oyin Elebute, and commencing operations in 1986 as a provider of integrated healthcare services, Lagoon Hospitals is currently the largest private healthcare services Group in Nigeria with 6 healthcare facilities.
Lagoon Hospitals is the only Nigerian Hospitals accredited by the Joint Commission International, and one of two in Sub-Saharan African to be so accredited. The Hospitals was first accredited in 2011 and re-accredited in 2014, and 2017. This is a guarantee of safe and quality healthcare that meets international standards.
Recently, Lagoon Hospitals received her Certificate of Re-accreditation from JCI.
Lagoon Hospital Highligts
- Lagoon Hospital is a leading private healthcare service provider, established in 1986 by Hygeia Group with an aim to provide international quality of clinical care.
- The hospital, with an experience of more than 30 years, has constantly invested in updating their technology and skills, and is recognized as one of the best tertiary care provider in Nigeria.
- It is the first hospitals in Sub-Saharan region to be accredited and reaccredited by Joint Commission International (JCI), which certifies that the high quality specialty services provided here.
- The hospital is renowned to be the first private hospital in Nigeria to successfully perform open-heart surgery and offers multi-disciplinary services in major specialties including orthopaedics & Trauma, General Surgery, Critical Care, Medical & Surgical Oncology, Urology, Cardiology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Paediatrics.
Lagoon Hospitals is driven by a single thrust, to provide the best standards of patient care. It is this passion that has led to the development of unique specialities across medical disciplines, within the Lagoon Hospitals Group. These specialities include Orthopaedics & Trauma, General Surgery, Critical Care, Medical & Surgical Oncology, Urology, Cardiology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Paediatrics.
Tertiary Services have recently been introduced into the bouquet of clinical offerings at Lagoon Hospitals, and some of these include Neuro Sciences, Advanced Urology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Orthopaedics (including Arthroplasty and Joint Replacement).
One of the major goals of Lagoon Hospitals is to provide healthcare at affordable rates, of high-quality standards to Nigerians so that they can actually avail those services within Nigeria, without having to leave Nigeria.
Lagoon Hospitals has over the years won numerous awards and recognition as a testament of its impact to healthcare in Nigeria, with other achievements as being the first hospital in Africa to have a metallic replacement of whole arm bone and joints, and the Hospital where the first open heart surgery in Nigeria was performed.
The Hospitals Group boast of a very strong commitment to quality – the quality of the healthcare provider, patient care and clinical excellence.
Lagoon Hospitals has earned, for the third time, the Joint Commission International’s Gold Seal of Approval® for Hospital Accreditation by demonstrating continuous compliance with its internationally-recognized standards. The Gold Seal of Approval® is a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to providing safe and effective patient care.
JCI (Joint Commission International) is the world’s leader in healthcare accreditation and the author and evaluator of the most rigorous international standards in quality and patient safety.
Lagoon Hospitals is the only Nigerian Hospitals accredited by the Joint Commission International, and one of two in Sub-Saharan African to be so accredited.
Joint Commission International accreditation provides hospitals with the processes contributing to improvements in a variety of areas from the enhancement of staff education to the demonstration of leading practices within the hospital setting.
Internal Medicine Services
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Orthopaedic and Trauma
General Out-Patient Department
We are highly skilled in diagnosing and preventing heart and blood vessel diseases. We provide acute care for all general medical conditions but particularly in the diagnosis and treatment of hypertension including resistant hypertension, heart failure, cardiomyopathies, ischemic heart diseases, cardiac rhythm abnormalities, and of course Preventive Cardiology.
We are backed up by a robust non-invasive cardiac laboratory. The commitment of our cardiologists to the prevention and treatment of heart diseases has led to the achievement of better clinical outcomes and has improved the quality of life of our patients.
We provide expert insights into the care and treatment of the skin, hair, nails and mucous membrane. Our visiting dermatologists (skin specialists) are also skilled in cosmetic dermatology, allergy service, and STD service.
Our dermatologists have the skills, experience, and equipment to perform a wide range of dermatology treatments, including:
- Scalpel Surgery: This is the removal of lesions by surgical excision and the revision of scars, both under local anaesthetic.
- Electrosurgery: This is used commonly for the treatment of warts and some skin growths.
- Injections: Intralesional injections for various conditions, including scars.
- Chemical Peels: For chronic actinic damaged skin and blemishes resulting from acne vulgaris.
- Pharmacovigilance: Provision and follow
Gastroenterology is a specialty in medicine that deals with the medical and surgical management of diseases of the stomach and intestines.
Our specialist gastroenterology service treats disorders of the digestive system, providing care for patients with gastrointestinal diseases, to ensure a healthy system.
Through the use of endoscopic and colonoscopic techniques, we are able to offer patients a minimally invasive alternative to surgery.
Healthcare services offered by the neurosurgery unit include treatment of disorders of the central and nervous system including tumors, infections of the brain and spine, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of patients with injury to, or diseases and disorders of the brain, spinal cord and spinal column, and peripheral nerves within all parts of the body.
Additionally, we also deal with a few functional problems such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, pain syndromes such trigeminal neuralgia dystonia and other movement disorders.
Our neurosurgeons provide operative and non-operative management (i.e., prevention, diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, critical care and rehabilitation) of neurological disorders. The unit has one full-time Neurosurgeon and one Visiting Consultant who offer specialist services at all the Lagoon Hospitals units (including both outpatient and in-patient care). Dr. Chiazor Onyia is supported by a Visiting Neurosurgeon.
The list of health care services available in the unit includes the following cranial surgeries:
- Excision of brain tumours
- Excision of arteriovenous malformations
- Excision / burrhole drainage of brain abscess
- Excision / drainage of subdural empyema
- Ventriculoperitoneal shunt placement / revision for hydrocephalus
- Reconstructive cranioplasty for skull defects
- Decompressive craniectomy / craniotomy following traumatic brain injury, cerebral infarction or malignant intracranial hypertension
- Craniotomy / Craniectomy and evacuation of acute extradural / subdural hematoma
- Elevation of depressed skull bone fracture
- Skull base repair for cerebrospinal fluid leak
The following list of spinal surgeries is also offered by the unit:
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Excision / drainage of extradural spinal abscess
- Posterior decompression (with / without fusion) of the cervical, thoracic, lumbar spine
- Anterior cervical discectomy / decompression and fusion
- Combined anterior and posterior fusion of the cervical spine
- Anterior / Posterior excision of disc prolapse (discectomy)
The specialty of neurosurgical care includes both adult and children. The few Paediatric neurosurgical services we currently offer include:
- Repair of craniosynostosis
- Repair of spinal myelomeningoceles
- Repair of encephaloceles
We deal with diagnosis and treatments of the male and female urinary tract and male reproductive organs.
Within the Urology specialty at the Lagoon Hospital there is a dedicated treatment program for prostate cancer with the skills and facilities to carry out laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery wherever possible.
The full range of services, available from the urology team includes the following:
- Surgical procedures for enlarged prostate
- TURP – Trans-urethral resection of the prostate
- Prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Transrectal Ultrasound Biopsy
- Transperineal Biopsy
- Radical Prostatectomy
- Male infertility
- Treatment of sexual dysfunction
- Hormone Treatment
- External Beam Radiotherapy
- Bladder Cancer
- Flexible Cystoscopy.
- Cystoscopy (Diagnostic and Therapeutic)
- Turbt – A Transurethral Resection Of A Bladder Tumour
- Open Radical Cystectomy
- Radical Cystectomy And Urinary Diversion
- Kidney Cancer
- Partial Nephrectomy
- Open Radical Nephrectomy
- Kidney Stone Treatment
- Rigid And Flexible Ureterorenoscopy
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
We manage cases of infertility, fibroid surgeries & menstrual disorders. In addition, we provide comprehensive care for women in every stage of life – from routine gynaecologic care, to childbirth, to right up to menopause. Our Gynaecology services include diagnosis and management of reproductive system disorders such as pelvic pain, menstrual abnormalities, menopause issues benign pelvic and uterine tumours; endometriosis; incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
Our Obstetrics Services include complete care for pregnant women, provided in our pre-natal clinics, with an emphasis on patient centred care.
Radiology involves much more than simple x-rays to diagnose conditions. At Lagoon Hospitals, we use the latest high-tech systems for medical imaging, including our advanced 64-slice CT scan.
Our radiologists are available around the clock to review studies – either on-site or from remote locations.
Our radiographers are well-trained employees that deliver efficient compassionate care, and totally dedicated to the safety and comfort of our patients as they undergo diagnostic radiology services.
We offer a broad array of inpatient and outpatient radiology services –
Traditional radiography, which produces the familiar x-ray film, is still the most frequently used form of diagnostic imaging. Lagoon Hospitals provide a wide range of routine x-ray services including chest, spine, extremity, head, and abdomen imaging.
Computed Tomography (also known as CT Scan) provides head-to-toe images of the body, and provides speedy, one-second helical scans, minimizing the amount of time for our patients.
The advanced 64-slice CT Scanner available at Lagoon Hospitals can take 64 images per revolution. This creates a clear, thorough image of the body, providing a faster, more accurate diagnosis.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, or MRI, is used to diagnose conditions affecting soft tissues in the body such as the muscles and nerves in backs and necks. Our MRI Unit is open for service Monday through Friday, so you can have your MRI scan done conveniently.
We employ mammography and ultrasound for breast imaging. Our mammography machines at Lagoon Hospitals are used both for screening and diagnostic purposes. Ultrasound exams help physicians obtain a more detailed view of a particular region of the breast.
An obstetrical ultrasound exam looks at a woman’s uterus and ovaries, and at the fetus. The ultrasound equipment at Lagoon Hospitals automatically calculates all important measurements related to the development of your baby before birth. This equipment is also used for abdominal ultrasound exams not related to pregnancy.