Biopsy Cost in Kenya
A biopsy is recommended or done when cancer might be present in the body. Cancer is one of the riskiest and most complicated diseases. To treat cancer, a biopsy is done and examined thoroughly to cure a patient. The biopsy in Kenya provides the best result with a high success rate of surgery. The doctors or physicians in Kenya for biopsy tests or surgery are knowledgeable, well-behaved, and skilled, and treat cancer patients with care and support. Today, we will discuss Biopsy Cost in Kenya which is very cost-effective, review Biopsy Tests in Kenya, and book an appointment for Biopsy in Kenya.
What do you mean by Biopsy?
A small amount of tissue or cells is taken from that area where cancer may be present to examine and determine if you have cancer or not. Biopsies are also performed to diagnose other causes such as immune disorders (chronic pancreatitis), infection (tuberculosis), and inflammatory disorders (hepatitis).
Who does a biopsy?
Biopsies are done by different medical professionals, including:
An oncologist (who treats cancer)
A pathologist (who looks into tissue samples for diseases and lab tests)
A dermatologist (who treats skin conditions)
A gynecologist (specializing in women’s health)
A radiologist (who takes and reads medical images)
A gastroenterologist (who treats the digestive system)
A cytologist (who studies cells and does a fine needle aspiration)
Other specialists, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners.
Different types of Biopsy
Types of biopsy depend on where the cancer is located.
- Liquid Biopsy: It is a biopsy where a health provider will take a blood sample and send it to the lab for the test.
- Bone marrow aspiration: In this, a needle is used to withdraw a fluid portion sample.
- Bone marrow Biopsy: In this, a needle is used to withdraw a solid portion sample.
- Laparoscopic Biopsy: Laparoscopic Biopsy is used to suspect cancerous tissue.
- Endoscopic Biopsy: Endoscopy is used to collect tissue samples to test diseases such as bleeding, anemia, etc.
- Shave Biopsy: It is done to diagnose non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Surgical Biopsy: In this procedure, a cut is made to remove abnormal tissue to check under the microscope the signs of disease.
- Needle Biopsies: A needle is inserted to obtain a sample of cells from the body.
- Image-guided Biopsy: This biopsy is done through MRI, CT scan, and X-ray.
Equipment used for Biopsy
- MRI Scans
- A thin and hollow needle
- microscope slide
Biopsy Cost in Kenya
|Biopsy Cost in Kenya||Average Cost of Biopsy in Kenya ( in Shilling)||Average Cost of Biopsy in Kenya (in USD)|
|Bone marrow Biopsy||40,609,80||33000|
|CT guided Biopsy||190,743||1550|
|Endovascular endothelial Cells||435,632||3540|
Cost of Top Biopsy in Kenya
Breast Biopsy Cost in Kenya
The removal of tissue from a suspicious area in the breast. The tissue is examined under a microscope to check the presence of cancer cells. It is performed when abnormal activities are seen or discovered during the ultrasound, mammogram, or physical examination. Breast Biopsy Costs in Kenya are around KES 507,911.
Types of Breast Biopsy in Kenya
- Open Surgical Biopsy: The surgeons remove the concerned area from the breast.
- Core needle Biopsy: No cut is done. A needle is guided to the area of concern, and small cylinders of tissue are removed also called cores.
- Fine needle aspiration Biopsy: A small sample of fluid or tissue is removed and no incision is needed.
Special tools and methods used in breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy – It helps to guide the needle to the exact biopsy site
- Stereotactic Biopsy – 3D image is made using a computer and mammogram results to reach the exact site of the breast lump.
- Vacuum-assisted core biopsy – Small cut is done and inserted a hollow tube through the cut and the tissue is gently pulled.
Prostate Biopsy Cost in Kenya
Prostate Biopsy is a surgical procedure in which several cylindrical cores of prostate tissue are removed. The average Prostate Biopsy Costs in Kenya is KES 249,811. For one skin biopsy with histology, the cost starts in Kenya from KES 48,000.
Liver Biopsy Cost in Kenya
To diagnose the liver condition a liver biopsy is done. The sample is removed from the liver and checked under a microscope for signs of diseases or damage occurring in the liver. It also helps to diagnose any abnormal cells or cancer cells present in the liver. Liver Biopsy Costs in Kenya are around KES 484733
Lung Biopsy Cost in Kenya
The lung biopsy procedure involves the removal of tissue from the lung to check for any abnormalities in the lungs. Lung biopsy Costs in Kenya are around KES 150,000
The types of lung biopsy a doctor can recommend to their patient are:
Lung Needle Biopsy
Thoracoscopic Lung Biopsy
Open Lung Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy Costs in Kenya
Bone Marrow Cells are transplanted from one body to another body. A bone marrow transplant can cost $ 25,000 to 35,000. Bone Marrow Biopsy is done to check blood disorders such as lymphoma, leukemia, and multiple myeloma. It is often taken from the pelvic bone. And Bone Marrow Biopsy Cost KES 201,809 for autologous stem cell and KES 282,532 for allogeneic.
Endometrial Biopsy Costs in Kenya
Endometrial Biopsy is a procedure done by taking a small piece of tissue from the lining of the uterus and examined under the microscope for cancer or other irregularities. The Cost of an endometrial biopsy in Kenya is around KES 10,000 to 20,000.
Cost of Biopsy Test in Kenya
The cost of a Biopsy Test in Kenya on different regions are
Factors affecting Biopsy Costs in Kenya
- Availability of Insurance: Some hospitals or clinics are covered by insurance and it also depends on the insurance company.
- Doctor’s Experience: The experience level of those who perform a biopsy will affect the cost.
- Location: Getting a biopsy done in a great place also affects the costs.
- Number of Procedures: Getting more than one biopsy also costs you more than the usual cost.
- Type of Biopsy: Some biopsies cost more than certain biopsies.
Success rate of Biopsy in Kenya
Biopsy of any organ or taking specific areas of the tissue sample and examining it under the microscope to understand the abnormalities of the body and diagnose properly to get hold of the treatment. The success rate gets high when a cure is diagnosed properly taking care of all possibilities.
Prepare the area to be biopsied: After all the clinical history is undertaken and the procedure is explained to the patient the biopsy is performed first in swab with alcohol.
Anesthesia is injected into the skin: Lidocaine solution is injected
Check the numbness: In this step, they check to ensure the skin is properly anesthetized. If the patient doesn’t feel any pain they continue with the biopsy process.
Biopsy the skin: Using a skin punch the physician applies pressure.
Remove the skin punch: Only purpose of the skin punch is to core the skin and not to remove the biopsy.
Excise the biopsy: This step is to take care of the epidermis so that it does not damage by crushing with forceps to grab the dermis of cored skin. Like this, the process continues for the biopsy test.
At last, the biopsy site is bandaged and the doctor provides the precaution to take care of the site.
Best Hospital for Biopsy in Kenya
Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi
The Aga Khan University Hospital
MP Shah Hospital, Nairobi
The Nairobi Hospital
The Karen Hospital, Kenya
St Scholastica Uzima Hospital, Nairobi
Consolata Hospital Mathari
CARE HOSPITALS, Nairobi
Mater Misericordiae Hospital
Diani Beach Hospital
Reviews of Biopsy Tests in Kenya
Biopsy Tests in Kenya is conducted by doctors or pathologist. They took tissue samples of the area which concerns the most. Pathologists conduct lab testing and review it under the microscope to check whether it is cancerous or not. The reports they provide are detailed oriented, fast, and accurate. They also recommend the best doctor for the treatment. Biopsy Tests in Kenya are a very smooth process and patients are happy about that.
Medical Insurance for Biopsy in Kenya
For Biopsy in Kenya most medical insurance provider covers the cost. Most diagnostic tests are covered by health plans such as X-rays, MRIs, blood tests, etc. Insurance Coverage for biopsy in Kenya is provided by:
NHIF accredited Hospital
Heritage Insurance Company Kenya Ltd
Kenindia Assurance Co. Ltd
Jubilee Insurance Company of Kenya
Pacis Insurance Company Ltd
Fidelity shield insurance co ltd
Does NHIF cover Biopsy?
NHIF Kenya covers:
Operating theatre charges
Dressings and Maternity
For Oncology (Cancer Treatment) it covers
Radiotherapy (for each session) – KES 3600
Chemotherapy (for each session) – KES 25000