St Francis Nsambya Hospital Review and Cost
St. Francis Hospital Nsambya also known as Nsambya Hospital. It is been located in Kampala, Uganda. In 1903 Nsambya Hospital was been started as a dispensary by Mother Mary Kevin Kearney, and later in 1906, it became a hospital. The hospital is a faith-based Not-for-Profit hospital. They got their first resident in 1922 (DR. Evelyn Connolly). Later joined the Franciscan Sisters under the name Sister Assumpta. She started Nursing School at Nsambya Hospital in 1935. Nsambya Hospital at the launching of the Royal Commission of Medical Services in Uganda was officially partnered with Govt. of Uganda. Sister Assumpta was an Internal Medicine Specialist in 1967. Nsambya Hospital leads as the first non-governmental hospital to train medical interns in 1977 along with Mulago, Jinja, and Mbale Hospitals.
About St Francis Hospital – Nsambya
St. Francis Hospital Nsambya is presently owned by Kampala Archdiocese and accredited by Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau. It operated as a large private hospital with a bed capacity of 440 and its mission is to provide sustainable quality care, training, and research to a health worker to who is economically unstable. The clinical care departments include public health, in-patient and outpatient services, and critical and emergency care. The hospital is been affiliated with Nsambya Hospital Training School which offers diploma and certificate courses. The specialist services that offer are internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, obstetrics, and gynecology. And the specialized services are orthopedics, eye care, endoscopy, laparoscopy, urology, endocrinology, HIV/AIDS, mammography, emergency, and accidents.
Recently, Nsambya Hospital has built and expanded the OPD Department and Pharmacy. An average of 19000 admissions every year and 300 outpatients every day with 5500 deliveries annually. Uganda Martyrs University signed an agreement with Nsambya Hospital to establish PG Medical School at the hospital. Now they provide a PG degree of Master of Medicine (M.Med) in General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecologic, and Pediatrics.
Nsambya Hospital Radiology Department
- Radiology is the use of imaging for the diagnosis and treatment of disease visualized in the body.
- Technology that is been used by a radiologist and radiographers is Ultrasound Scans, X-rays, Mammography, and CT Scans.
- CT Scan: Vessel CT, Head CT, Heart CT, Neck CT, Limb CT, Chest CT, Pelvic CT, Abdominal CT Scan
- Plain X-rays: Limb, Head, Neck, Back, Chest, Pelvic, Plain X-rays
- Ultrasound Scan: 3D Scans, Pregnancy Scan, General abdomen scan, breast scan, blood vessels scan, infertility scan, blood vessels scan, children scan, abdominal scan.`
A patient needs a Radiologist when
- She is Pregnant
- Swelling or mass in the body
- Head injury
- broken bone and limb
- pain in any part of the body
- Any blood clot
Preparation before visiting any Radiologist
- For Cardiac CT: If your heart rate is normal then it is good to go. But, if it is not normal then you will be under medication after you get the normal heart rate than you will go through the scan.
- Ultrasound Scan: Drink lots of water or overnight fasting. As suggested by the doctor.
- CT Scan: For Abdominal and Pelvic CT scans may be under dietary advice or overnight fasting.
- X-rays: no preparation is been required.
Nsambya Hospital Pediatric Department
- There is a long history of providing pediatric services at Nsambya Hospital.
- The aim is to provide excellent, innovative, and safe services.
- Pediatric Department is of 3 sections: Outpatient dept., in-patient-NICU, and St. Theresa Ward (for 1 month-12 years)
- Bed Capacity – 80 beds
- The team comprised of 7 pediatricians, 3 senior house officers, and 4 Junior House Officers.
- Nurses, midwives, and staff are also present to provide care.
- In 2015 NICU was been opened with an avg. 2000 admission and in 2017 it grows to 2500.
- Treatment offers in Premature babies, epilepsy, rheumatoid arthritis, chest and asthma difficulty, sickle cell, and pediatric diabetes.
Nsambya Hospital Internal Medicine Department
- 5 Senior Physicians in the department.
- Beds capacity: Male ward (28 beds), female ward (19 beds), high dependency unit (2 beds), OLF Private ward (18 beds).
- Also opened for Medical outpatient, physiotherapy, and Rehabilitation Medicine.
- Specialized clinics include Gastroenterology, Diabetes mellitus, Cardiology (ECG and ECHO Services), Neurology, and General Medicine.
- Newly added ICU with 10 beds, and dialysis unit with 4 beds
- Lab and Radiology services are also provided.
Nsambya Hospital Oncology Department
- It is one of the newly established departments to address the need for cancer care in Uganda.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology opened Cervical Cancer Unit in 2009 to create awareness among mothers who came to Nsambya hospital.
- In 2010, the Department of Surgery was also open for cervical cancer screening and paid more attention to breast cancer screening.
- Nsambya Hospital was been supported by AISPO, Cytecare Cancer Hospitals, Apollo Hospital, Chennai, Uganda Cancer Institute, and Oncology for Africa.
- The staffing members at Oncology Department: Oncology nurses, Clinical Psychologist, Medical Oncologists, Surgical Oncologists, Gyn. Oncologists, Reproductive Health Specialists, Nutritionists, Auxiliary Support Staff, Palliative Care Nurses, and Medical Officers.
- OPD General
- Pediatrics and NICU (Neonatal ICU)
- Home Care
Doctors at Nsambya Hospital
- Dr. Maria Nannyonga Musoke
- Dr. Erem Geoffrey
- Dr. Nakibuuka Victoria
- Dr. Martin Mugenyi
- Dr. Nabankema Evelyn
- Dr. Kabasindi Lillian
Nsambya Hospital Home Care Units are
- Community Volunteers’ unit
- Pharmacy Unit
- Laboratory Unit
- Counseling Unit
- Nursing Unit
- Psycho-social unit
- M&E/Data Unit
- Medical Unit
- Administration Unit
Services Offered at Nsambya Hospital
|Breast cancer screening|
|Electrical Stimulation (T.E.N.S)|
|Exercise (well equipped Gymnasium)|
|Maxilla-Facial Surgical procedures|
|Ophthalmology / Eye clinic|
|Oral Health Education|
|Short Wave Diathermy|
|TRACTIOM (Lumbar and Cervical)|
|Training correct use of Orthotics and Assistive devices|
|Training good posture|
Laboratory Test Offered at Nsambya
|Biochemical urine analysis|
|Blood grouping rhesus factor and compatibility tests|
|Blood, stool, and urine parasitological tests|
|Bone and cardiac profile|
|Bone marrow examination|
|CD4/CD8 cell count|
|Coagulation and metabolism tests|
|Culture and sensitivity of microorganisms|
|Cytology, immuno-histochemistry, and histology investigations|
|Direct/Indirect Coomb’s testing|
|Fasting Lipid profile|
|Full blood count and film comment|
|Gene Xpert (sputum and blood)|
|HIV, Hepatitis B/C Viral load|
|Liver and Renal function tests|
|MTB culture and sensitivity|
|Pancreatic function test|
|Protein and hemoglobin electrophoresis|
|Public diagnostic camps like VCT|
|Serology and immunoassay tests for infectious pathogens|
|Sickle test and ESR|
|Tumor and reproductive markers|
Training and Research
- It comprises Nursing, Midwifery, and Lab Schools.
- In 1919, she started to train midwifery to develop staff that would help to handle obstetrical problems.
- The goal is to produce professional health workers and provide quality services
- The mission is to provide health personnel enriched with theoretical knowledge and evidence-based practice.
- Future courses going to be open are Bachelor in Medical Laboratory, Evening courses(Nursing), and Computer courses.
- Mutual staff respect
- Commitment to Catholic values
- Equitable treatment of external and internal clients
- Hard work and provision of quality services
St. Francis Nsambya Hospital Review
- Fast and dedicated services are been delivered on time.
- Staff such as nurses are very caring and trained people.
- Various types are lab tests are available and reports are been given very quickly.
- Perfect hospital to learn and work parallelly.
- Very good hospital to experience the best treatment.
- The hospital is good at handling patients
- The emergency and critical care unit has the best surgeon.
- First hospital to work independently and provide the best services
- Use the best technology
- Their approach is patient-centric
- The cost of treatment is very affordable.
- The gynecology and Pediatric department are famous at Nsambya Hospital.
- Cooperative and caring doctors.
- Operations are smooth and taken care of very nicely after surgery
- And at last Nsambya Hospital is also a highly-recommended hospital and an ideal hospital in Uganda.
St Francis Nsambya Hospital Cost
Popular Surgeries at Kampala
Avg. Cost of Surgeries at Kampala
|Pediatric Surgery||2500 – 7000|
|ENT Surgery||2000 – 7000|
|Laparoscopic Surgery||8000 – 12,000|
|Urology Surgery||3000 – 5000|
|Orthopedic Surgery||1000 – 3000|
|Obstetrics and Gynecology||2000|
|Dermatology and Venereology||600-2000|
Above table shows the estimated cost of any surgeries. In general if you are going for any medical surgeries your surgery cost will be around
- Accommodation charges
- Food Facility
- Therapy section (if any)
- Consultation with doctor
- Follow-up session
- Medical charges
- Specialist Doctor
- The hospital you are opting for surgery
- Post recovery period